Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

It is said that sunlight is the best disinfectant....

16K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  malakai 
#1 ·
...which I why I'm so glad we got the Pano roof option. :D
Mouth Motor vehicle Window Vehicle Car

We're under a stay-at-home order in Michigan, be we can still go out to get curbside delivery at some restaurants. Here we are picking up our first take away in a month, in the IPace. What a great drive! And yes, it is still snowing here- we got about three inches on Friday, but just a little squall this morning. Not even enough to bury the flowers. We call that "spring" here.

Hope everyone in the forum is doing ok out there, in the UK and the rest of the world! Stay well, stay warm, and think of the road trips to come!!

(Got any mask photos in your Jag? Would love to see em in this thread...)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here in London we have had near constant sunshine for the period of lockdown with the temperature now at 70 and it feels positively tropical to us! We have been self sufficient for electricity for the the last 48 days thanks to our PV and Tesla Powerwall. Only down side is we have had to export over 300 miles worth of electricity to the grid rather than the I Pace as we have almost no chance to drive it!

#4 ·
SeanM1 said:
Here in Phoenix, it will be 101 F this Sunday.
Few more weeks, you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, i don't think Corona can survive that :)

I am so glad I have ipace with ventilated seats. Its an option tesla does not offer on any model.
It requires exposure to a temperature of 133 degrees for a sustained period (at least 15 minutes) to kill the corona virus. It can survive in the body and be transferred as normal, but will obviously live on surfaces outdoors for only 15 minutes in 133 and upwards. Air conditioned interiors will sustain the virus for as long as during the rest of the year. 101 will have no effect.

#5 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
SeanM1 said:
Few more weeks, you can fry an egg on the sidewalk, i don't think Corona can survive that :)

I am so glad I have ipace with ventilated seats. Its an option tesla does not offer on any model.
It requires exposure to a temperature of 133 degrees for a sustained period (at least 15 minutes) to kill the corona virus. It can survive in the body and be transferred as normal, but will obviously live on surfaces outdoors for only 15 minutes in 133 and upwards. Air conditioned interiors will sustain the virus for as long as during the rest of the year. 101 will have no effect.
Really. Sounds like scaremongering to me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-lifespan-on-surfaces-graphic-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

#6 ·
Jeffrey said:
I see nothing in that article that negates what I said. At 99 degrees it can live for a day on hard surfaces. Maybe I should have said "no meaningful effect" but the fact is that all scientific data I have read supports what I said. A bunch of gun-toting maniacs seem to be pretty much the only people disagreeing with the science.

#13 ·
Sorry guys, it's not the heat it's the ultraviolet from sunlight that disinfects, even at low temperature strong UV fries most things

#14 ·
Baikar said:
I thought it was UV light that destroyed virus and bacteria along with heat.
Beat me to it. I believe several minutes in direct sunlight will kill viruses, the sunlight will also get viruses to a point where it can't do any harm before it's totally gone. Sun light is awesome. High dose of vit D from sunlight is also great against viruses. Being outside and having fresh air movement within a building is also great against disease.

#15 ·
In addition to sunlight disinfecting it also boosts vitamin D, which boosts our immune system, so after dull cold winter with low vitamin D, sunshine helps in two ways - very little transmission in sunny Australia, high transmission in dull cold places

#18 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
SeanM1 said:

No worries, in mid June when we hit 120 F, the surface temperature reaches 140 to 145 for several hrs :)

#20 ·
FENorway said:
Injecting bleaches directly into the lungs are the new cure according to Mr President. Who stands first in line to test?
Honestly, it's not nice to give people hope like that only for us to then realise that floppy haired moron won't be the first to be shot out into outer space as a excuse to test some sort of vaccine. :lol:

#21 ·
"Floppy haired moron" that is likely to be elected again in November, is there any hope?.

#22 ·
SeanM1 said:
No worries, in mid June when we hit 120 F, the surface temperature reaches 140 to 145 for several hrs :)
That will work (with those extreme AZ temps) but just keep in mind that it will only be killed on those surfaces. If you go to an air conditioned mall, or a bar, or a cinema the dangers will be unchanged. And also remember that 15 minutes is a long time. You could touch that surface 10 minutes after an infected person and still get it. The risks are reduced though certainly whilst outdoors. Not a place I'd want to be for long in 133 degrees though (outdoors I mean, not AZ)! :lol:

#24 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
FENorway said:
Injecting bleaches directly into the lungs are the new cure according to Mr President. Who stands first in line to test?
And let's not forget his other suggestion of directly exposing people's internal organs to UVC light! The man is becoming more ridiculous than any parody of him I've ever seen!
wait, ADD, are you saying it is not possible to either expose a human being lungs to UV light to kill bacteria or use some sort of implements to clean the lungs with disinfectant.. i don't know, may be a toilet brush? You know a good rummage around with toilet duck and bleach should do the trick no??

#25 ·
fa147 said:
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
FENorway said:
And let's not forget his other suggestion of directly exposing people's internal organs to UVC light! The man is becoming more ridiculous than any parody of him I've ever seen!
wait, ADD, are you saying it is not possible to either expose a human being lungs to UV light to kill bacteria or use some sort of implements to clean the lungs with disinfectant.. i don't know, may be a toilet brush? You know a good rummage around with toilet duck and bleach should do the trick no??
I look forward to hearing how Trump's self testing goes!

#26 ·
:lol: if anyone needs a good rummage around with toilet duck and bleach its Trump! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.