Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

It is said that sunlight is the best disinfectant....

16K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  malakai 
#1 ·
...which I why I'm so glad we got the Pano roof option. :D
Mouth Motor vehicle Window Vehicle Car

We're under a stay-at-home order in Michigan, be we can still go out to get curbside delivery at some restaurants. Here we are picking up our first take away in a month, in the IPace. What a great drive! And yes, it is still snowing here- we got about three inches on Friday, but just a little squall this morning. Not even enough to bury the flowers. We call that "spring" here.

Hope everyone in the forum is doing ok out there, in the UK and the rest of the world! Stay well, stay warm, and think of the road trips to come!!

(Got any mask photos in your Jag? Would love to see em in this thread...)

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Previously much admired blogger Abu Dhabi Dude's comment "Air conditioned interiors will sustain the virus for as long as during the rest of the year. " - I hope he is JOKING? otherwise this is an extremely damaging and misleading statement for anyone awaiting delivery or considering purchasing an i-Pace (or any new or used car)!!!!!!!

#28 ·
JAGiAM said:
Previously much admired blogger Abu Dhabi Dude's comment "Air conditioned interiors will sustain the virus for as long as during the rest of the year. " - I hope he is JOKING? otherwise this is an extremely damaging and misleading statement for anyone awaiting delivery or considering purchasing an i-Pace (or any new or used car)!!!!!!!
Um no. Not sure what you think is misleading? I can only guess you misunderstood my meaning. All I meant is that air conditioned interiors such as malls and cinemas will allow the virus to live on surfaces for just as long as they do any other time of the year. Yes that would also apply to cars but in general you know exactly who has been in your car at least. Also when you park your car in sunlight there is a good chance it would warm above those temps (especially somewhere like Arizona). I was really referring to public spaces.

As far as deliveries of vehicles go, as far as I'm aware all delivery agents are now doing contactless handovers and are disinfecting the interior prior to giving over the keys. I read a tongue in cheek article recently about "no more new car smell"! ;)

#29 ·
JAGiAM said:
Don't try arguing with him, he just doesn't get it.

#34 ·
Delta5 said:
Sorry guys, it's not the heat it's the ultraviolet from sunlight that disinfects, even at low temperature strong UV fries most things
UV from sunlight does not kill CV-19 within the Earth's atmosphere. Heat does. Sustained temperatures of above 133 degrees Fahrenheit (56 degrees Celsius) can kill the virus within 15 minutes. Higher temperatures will achieve it quicker. UVC will kill it, but that is not naturally present in the earth's atmosphere and requires an artificial source to generate it.

#35 ·
ProjectZ said:
Beat me to it. I believe several minutes in direct sunlight will kill viruses, the sunlight will also get viruses to a point where it can't do any harm before it's totally gone. Sun light is awesome. High dose of vit D from sunlight is also great against viruses. Being outside and having fresh air movement within a building is also great against disease.
So basically you're saying that hospitals have wasted money on all that sterilisation equipment when all they have to do is leave their surgical equipment out in the sun for 20 minutes? Sunlight does not sterilise. It can kill certain viruses and bacteria, but not all and certainly not CV-19.

#38 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
ProjectZ said:
Beat me to it. I believe several minutes in direct sunlight will kill viruses, the sunlight will also get viruses to a point where it can't do any harm before it's totally gone. Sun light is awesome. High dose of vit D from sunlight is also great against viruses. Being outside and having fresh air movement within a building is also great against disease.
So basically you're saying that hospitals have wasted money on all that sterilisation equipment when all they have to do is leave their surgical equipment out in the sun for 20 minutes? Sunlight does not sterilise. It can kill certain viruses and bacteria, but not all and certainly not CV-19.
Well I Wasn't trying to pick a fight, but thanks for the info I stand corrected. I'm sure you're right. Time will tell all I guess. This sure is a friendly understanding little forum.

#39 ·
ProjectZ said:
Well I Wasn't trying to pick a fight, but thanks for the info I stand corrected. I'm sure you're right. Time will tell all I guess. This sure is a friendly understanding little forum.
Sorry for being snippy but there is so much misinformation circulating. Many people aren't doing it maliciously but the problem is that some people believe it and everyone who believes something incorrect who then acts in accordance with that belief prolongs this whole process for everybody.

#40 ·
Perhaps it might be best just to let this thread join the others forgotten by the passage of time and concentrate on I-Pace/EV related matters.

The last thing we want now is for our community to become smaller because people leave the forum due to conversations may not have needed to be so prolonged.

I recently debated online with a YouTube user who though their take on facts was correct and of course I thought the same of my facts. I am slightly closer to some facts because I work at a trust, and so I thought I'd try and make sure my side of the argument was heard no matter what.

In the end I realised I could not hold a meaningful debate given that text does not adequately portray inflection, tone or nuance and without those tools, coherent debate is difficult. I decided our debate was only causing each of us to entrench ourselves even more and was unlikely to reach an outcome either of us would be happy of. So I, regrettably, stopped.

#42 ·
Abu Dhabi Dude said:
Delta5 said:
Sorry guys, it's not the heat it's the ultraviolet from sunlight that disinfects, even at low temperature strong UV fries most things
UV from sunlight does not kill CV-19 within the Earth's atmosphere. Heat does. Sustained temperatures of above 133 degrees Fahrenheit (56 degrees Celsius) can kill the virus within 15 minutes. Higher temperatures will achieve it quicker. UVC will kill it, but that is not naturally present in the earth's atmosphere and requires an artificial source to generate it.
It is well known that sunlight can be used to reduce bacteria levels in drinking water, clear bottles of contaminated water left in sunlight for 6 hours have much lower levels of bacteria. The research on viruses being killed by sunlight has been very limited, one study exposed virus to 15mins with no effect, for some reason they did not extend the trial to a period of several hours, which is a more realistic situation for outdoor environments
We always get peaks of influenza infection in winter when sunlight is at low levels, with virtually no widespread transmission in summer, any virus is dilute and dies out, Covid 19 is proving to be more persistent and spreading by close contact in hospitals care homes and cruise ships. Outdoors in summer the risk is going to be very low.

#45 ·
fa147 said:
Perhaps it might be best just to let this thread join the others forgotten by the passage of time and concentrate on I-Pace/EV related matters.

The last thing we want now is for our community to become smaller because people leave the forum due to conversations may not have needed to be so prolonged.

I recently debated online with a YouTube user who though their take on facts was correct and of course I thought the same of my facts. I am slightly closer to some facts because I work at a trust, and so I thought I'd try and make sure my side of the argument was heard no matter what.

In the end I realised I could not hold a meaningful debate given that text does not adequately portray inflection, tone or nuance and without those tools, coherent debate is difficult. I decided our debate was only causing each of us to entrench ourselves even more and was unlikely to reach an outcome either of us would be happy of. So I, regrettably, stopped.
👍

#46 ·
Had I known that a head of state would profess the title of this thread as a literal truth two days after I posted it, I'd have chosen some other metaphor to describe how much I enjoyed having the Panoramic Roof option in the IPace on one of the first sunny days of spring. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.